St. Martin Catholic Church
58 S. Church St.
Chrisney, IN 47611

About St. Martin Catholic Church

In the early 1800s, the federal government purchased land from the Shawnee and Wyandotte tribes. Years later, a family offered a section of that land to the bishop of Vincennes for five dollars. It became the first location of St. Martin Church in Centerville in 1866. Father Mundwiler, OSB was the first pastor. In 1867, one acre was set aside for a cemetery.   

The present St. Martin Church in Chrisney was dedicated on August 7, 1898 and the second cemetery (also located in Chrisney) was started in 1900. Among many later additions were the rectory in 1905, a bell in 1923 and a large shelter in the 1950s.

After Vatican II, St. Martin parishioners were inspired to reach out and witness their faith and love. In 1983, they adopted Holy Cross Parish in Thibeau, Haiti.

In 1992, St. Martin saw the fulfillment of many years work in a major renovation during which Masses were held in the St. Martin Parish Hall.   The Rite of Rededication was held September 20, 1992.

From twelve families in Centerville, St. Martin Parish has grown to 96 families with more than 250 active members.

St. Martin Parish Staff





St. Martin Catholic Church • 58 S. Church St. • Chrisney, IN 47611 • 812-649-4811
Red Pixel Studios Website Development